V.92

Alex alist at sprint.ca
Fri Jan 23 12:20:29 PST 2004

Current Macs are supposed to come with internal V92 modems.

However, I looked over a new G4 DP 1.25 Mac (running Jaguar) which came
with Apple's internal USB (soft)modem. Apple System Profiler reported
the modem as being

	HCF USB V.90 Data/Fax Modem

Interrogating the modem with the AT I6 command (either with a 3rd party
utility or with Apple's method, see KB article ID 75407) produced

	V90 SPX RAM Ver 65
	V90 CTL RAM Ver 65

Therefore, it seems to me fairly clear that the modem is V90, not V92.
I had a lengthy discussion with a technician from Apple, who told me
that it must be some bug in Apple System Profiler; according to him,
the modem is definitely V92.

I've only tested this in Jaguar -- I don't know if Panther has the same
issue (it might not, since this is a soft modem, similar to the
Winmodem), and it may be that other Mac models also don't have this
issue.

I guess the real proof of the pudding is in the eating, but there's no
V92 dialup server in my area to test it with.

I wonder if anyone on this list with a recently purchased Mac
(preferable a DP G4) can test this issue by dialing into a V92 server
and verifying if the modem actually does do V92. The chief new V92
features are quick connect, V44 compression, and PCM upstream (see
<http://www.v92.com/>).