[G4] Safari issue

Doug McNutt douglist at macnauchtan.com
Sat Jan 24 12:27:03 PST 2004

At 14:43 -0500 1/24/04, Kevin Willis wrote:
>	I have been using Safari as my Browser in Jaguar and I prefer it to Internet Explorer.  However, there are a couple of web sites that Safari doesn't seem to work in.  The main on is for my bank.  I can log in to the site, but the section that has my balance and transactions is blank.  I have to use Explorer to view that site.

I have found - mostly with iCab - that many institutions make tests for "trusted" browsers and that's a Microbesoft synonym for IE. The tests use secret Java-Scripted tests that are put there using M$ web development software.

But they seem to do it only on the entry page. If you take note of the URL that IE sends you to for logging in, and go directly there from iCab or Safari, things may behave better. iCab has some geek-like options that allow you to see the actual https transaction that have helped me. I have been told that Safari has the same but you have to turn on debugging with the Terminal.

You can also tell Safari to identify itself as IE but the sites are too "smart" for that. these days. Such a tactic also extends the time until banks accept Safari because "Nobody is using it. Look at our records."

--
-->  There are 10 kinds of people:  those who understand binary, and those who don't <--