[G4] FTP via Airport Extreme

Jim Pacyga jim.pacyga at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 7 18:02:22 PDT 2004

So it works like this?

Cable Modem---->Netgear Router--->Airport Extreme

If so, does the Netgear router support port mapping?  Your Airport
Extreme does.  What you need to do is map port 21 to the G4 IP address.

If you look in the Airport Setup Util:

1) Highlight your base station name
2) Click Configure button
3) Click "Show All" on left nav
4) Click "Port Mapping" on top nav

You will see a screen that says "public port	private ip addr	private
port"

Now, go to your netgear setup (web based or otherwise), find the
similar screen.

Map Public port 21 to your 733's IP address.  If you have not changed
the FTP port on your G4, then map to port 21.

If you expose your port to the outside world, I would be sure to have a
secure FTP server and disable anonymous access or everyone with port
scanner will be hitting your machine.

Jim