Fried Modem

Gregory Cortelyou chefgreg at mac.com
Sun Jul 11 19:53:30 PDT 2004

This is slightly OT as it concerns a G3 iMac which happens to belong to
my Mom. To be more specific, it's a Blueberry 350 iMac. There is great
wisdom on this list and I need some help. Recently the telephone
company that serves my mother's area had some sort of major surge run
through the phone lines. It was reported in the news and she knew her
home was affected because her cordless phone/answering machine started
making noise right at the moment. Anyway, she cannot connect to the
internet via her dialup ISP. She gets a message saying there is no
dialtone. This is not true, because dialtone is all you get. I was
there yesterday and tried everything I could think of in 10.2 and in OS
9. If you set it to ignore the dialtone you get it to dial out but you
hear strange tones, not the normal ones and it never connects. I
believe her internal modem is "fried". Does anybody know if this is
easy to replace in this model? Or what are the options for an external
modem for a machine like hers. I appreciate any help give the OT
nature. I do have a G4 FYI.
Greg