[G4] Mass storage problem

John McGibney ensignjd at optonline.net
Mon Jul 12 13:45:47 PDT 2004

> On Jul 11, 2004, at 11:15 AM, hachapitees at lightspeed.net wrote:
>
> <He hooked up a external hard drive (USB) to his desktop G4 to copy
> some files over to his G4 laptop. The drive shows up fine on the G4
> desktop, which is running 9.04.
> When we hooked it up to the Powerbook, which is running 9.1, the disk
> is a no show.>

The USB port on the PowerBook may not have enough power to drive the USB
drive. I have that problem with a USB2 drive on my G4 PowerBooks. The Drive
came with a special USB cable that draws power from 2 USB ports. It works on
the TiBook but not on the AlBook because it cant attach it to two ports. The
instructions that came with the drive state some laptops don't have enough
power to drive the drive unless you use a powered USB hub or attach the
cable to two ports.

John

--
 One OS to rule them all, One OS to find them.
 One OS to bring them all and in anti-competitive practices bind them.