Processor upgrade advice... Giga, Sonnet, or PL?

Nicolas Kinnan nasw at pcmagic.net
Wed Jul 14 17:40:28 PDT 2004

Hello all,

I am thinking about possibly upgrading my 533DP with one of the DP
upgrades being produced by either Powerlogix, Sonnet, or Gigadesigns.
As they all seem a tad overpriced, it looks like I may have to settle
on something in the 1.2GHz range.

Does anyone here have any good user stories featuring these processor
upgrades as a main character?  I notice Gigadesigns has a unit that has
two overclocked 1000MHz chips, running at 1.2GHz for under $600.00 AND
a unit with two genuine 1.25GHz chips running between 1.2 and 1.33GHz
for about $90.00 more.  As it gets pretty hot in my dwelling place,
should I eschew the overclocked board for the pricier one?

I had hoped to hold out until there were upgrades of close to three
times that which I currently have, as that would seem to cross some
psychological price-performance threshold, but it is starting to look
like there may never be G4s above 1.5GHz.  I'm also starting to doubt
that there will be any dual 1.5GHz upgrade boards anytime soon as
well...  Has anyone heard different?

Any known issues running these upgrades with 10.3?

This all has suddenly come up as I would like shorter rendering times
for video and faster MPEG encoding times for possible DVDs.  Also,
someone has recently given me copies of Unreal Tournament 2003 and
Battlefield 1942, both of which require more oomph than my machine has
currently got.  Anyone know if those games are more processor or
graphics card bound on a Mac?  I can't afford both a hot new video card
AND a processor upgrade, so on that front, would I get more gaming
mileage out of, say a Radeon 9800 or a dual 1.2GHz upgrade..?

Thanks in advance,

N.