[G4] Processor upgrade advice... Giga, Sonnet, or PL?

Rob Carruthers robcarruthers at mac.com
Fri Jul 16 02:54:24 PDT 2004

On 15/07/2004, at 12:40 PM, Nicolas Kinnan wrote:

> I am thinking about possibly upgrading my 533DP with one of the DP
> upgrades being produced by either Powerlogix, Sonnet, or Gigadesigns.
> As they all seem a tad overpriced, it looks like I may have to settle
> on something in the 1.2GHz range.
>
> Does anyone here have any good user stories featuring these processor
> upgrades as a main character?  I notice Gigadesigns has a unit that
> has two overclocked 1000MHz chips, running at 1.2GHz for under $600.00
> AND a unit with two genuine 1.25GHz chips running between 1.2 and
> 1.33GHz for about $90.00 more.  As it gets pretty hot in my dwelling
> place, should I eschew the overclocked board for the pricier one?

Nicolas,

I recently tried a Sonnet 1.2GHz 1xG4 in my Dual 450 AGP and was a bit
disappointed, goto the link below and enter "DualG4" and "Sonnet" for
my test results.

http://forums.xlr8yourmac.com/cpureview.lasso

I have ordered the Sonnet 1.3GHz Duet and expect delivery in the next
few days, so I'll keep you posted.

Rob