[G4] (no subject)

Robar J Philip philip.robar at myrealbox.com
Sun Jul 25 00:06:18 PDT 2004

On Jul 24, 2004, at 7:30 PM, Brian Conner wrote:

> You'll probably need to add an ATA controller card (PCI card) that has
> ATA6
> busses. This has been posted here a number of times, and should be in
> the
> archives. The archives _are_ available, aren't they?
>

> Brian Conner

Actually he needs an ATA 100 or better hard disk controller.

Brian,

The problem is that your Mac has an ATA 66 or older IDE hard disk
controller. It only supports HDs up to 128 GB. You have a few options:

1) Buy a driver from Intech (http://www.speedtools.com/ATA6.shtml,
$25). Draw backs: it supports large drives, but it's recommended that
the drive be partitioned such that no single partition is larger than
128 MBs.

2) Buy a new disk controller for $75-$100. Advantage: use any partition
size you want. MacSales is a good place to get one:
http://www.macsales.com. Note, the controller must be for a Mac. The PC
version of the same card that costs 20-40% of the price of the Mac
version will not work in your Mac.

3) Put the drive in a FireWire case. Disadvantage: FireWire 400 has
only 66-75% of the performance of a direct IDE connection
(http://www.barefeats.com/fire35.html). Note that FireWire 800 matches
the performance of a direct IDE connection.

4) USB 2.0 is an option, but it has only 66% of the performance of
FireWire 400.

Phil