OS X Hard Drive Update 1

Lynn Persing lpersing at adelphia.net
Tue Jul 27 09:59:48 PDT 2004

Hello,

This question is about OS X Hard Drive Update 1

Do I really need this update for my G4 Sawtooth?  Last night I installed
OS 10.3.4 on a secondary 120 GB drive that I put into my machine.  After
the install I was running through the software updates and it wanted to
do this update, which I assume is for the original 20GB drive that came
with my machine.

(Incidentally, the machine's original 20GB drive with OS 9.1.1 on it is
currently experiencing finder problems which is why I thought I'd just
go ahead and install X on the extra drive and then eventually do a fresh
install of 9.2.2 on the original 20GB drive.)

It tried to do the hard drive update but the machine booted into open
firmware and told me to either type mac-boot to continue booting or shut
down.  Either one I tried seems to render the machine useless and I have
to hold the option key down to boot back into OS X where it tells me
that the hard drive was not updated.

So, if I'm going to only use the original 20GB drive for OS 9.2.2 and
backup purposes, do I really need the stinkin' update?!!!  It says that
it may prolong the life of my drive?   *May* being the important word in
that sentence.

Thanks,

Lynn