[G4] Liquid Cooled new g5 2.5 ghz

sr ferenczy srf7425 at rit.edu
Wed Jun 9 14:26:12 PDT 2004

actually, apples website says that the 2.5 ghz is the 90 nm process.

http://www.apple.com/g5processor/ibmprocess.html

as far as the cooling setup, it seems like apple could easily have one
fan and one radiator as shown on their website, as the internal pics
seem to simply show a metal cover on the processors, rather than 2
honking large heat sinks as are on the rev 1 G5s.

http://www.apple.com/powermac/design.html

this would make sense, as if they are relying only on liquid cooling,
there is no need for a large heat sink, simply a plate resting on top
of the processor to pass the liquid through. both plates then pass on
to the single fan and radiator (didnt some rumor site also mention the
lack of dual processor fans on the new dual processor models??)

as far as cars, well, my car is rear engined, oil cooled, and has no
grill through which air is forced, and it stays cool.

i am thinking that apple may just be product testing this liquid
cooling system, getting ready for a short time in the future when they
will absolutely need liquid cooling. especially since the specs on the
90 nm processors are stating that the chips are dissipating 1/2 the
wattage, the 2.5 ghz has to be running cooler than the old 2.0...

sandor