[G4] Liquid Cooled new g5 2.5 ghz

Keith Whaley keith_w at dslextreme.com
Wed Jun 9 17:36:44 PDT 2004

Steven wrote:

> Bruce Pillman wrote:
>

>> We're really talking about three heat exchangers running at the same
>> time. Two heat exchangers are from the chips to the fluid, the other
>> is from the fluid to the air. I know that's stating the obvious, but
>> the key is: how much temperature differential there is between the two
>> processors depends (among other things) on the rate of the fluid flow.
>> If they move the fluid really fast, then the two processors are at
>> nearly the same temperature. If the fluid moves as slow as a lava
>> lamp, then the 2nd processor toasts up :)
>

> It seems to me the fluid will always have a higher temperature when it
> passes the second processor compared to when it passes the first. And
> since it runs at the same speed at both processors I 'd say the second
> processor gets less cooling. When the fluid moves faster the difference
> indeed gets smaller.

No proper mechanical/elec.mech. engineer would allow that to happen.
If the first processor had a flow restrictor of some sort there, and a
larger bore for the 2nd processor, you could provide a longer flow
resident time for processor #2, to pick up more heat.
Believe me, it is no problem.
Now, in practice... who knows?

keith whaley

That could indeed explain the design. Which makes