[G4] M4A - M4P

Jim Pacyga jim.pacyga at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 11 06:58:01 PDT 2004

Apple claims that AAC is a more efficient coding algorithm than MP3.
I.e., AAC @ 128kbps is better than MP3 @ 160 or 192 kbps.

There was an article on it somewhere.  The interesting point I found
was that the reviewer claimed that using QT to encode music gave a
better result than iTunes (Yes, I know they use the same library - but
they DO NOT apparently use the same settings).

M4A and M4P are identical except that the M4P is PROTECTED - e.g., you
can not send these to your friends - you must be authenticated as they
are part of a content protection scheme.

On 11 Jun 2004, at 06:14, zhmmy harper wrote:

> What is the benefit of using M4A or M4P, or is it mainly for the
> benefit of the iTunes Music Store?
>

>> M4A - AAC
>> M4P - AAC protected (the kind you might download from iTunes Store)
>>
>> It is different from MP3. You can change the way you encode in iTunes
>> under Preferences.
>>
>> These formats often don't have well known codecs for windows machines
>> but you could check places like http://versiontracker.com for windoz.
>>
>> On 10 Jun 2004, at 07:01, Wilkin, Wayne (Mass) wrote:
>>
>>> The only thing that won't play is the apple music. I can burn other
>>> music
>>> fine (if you know what I mean by other). If I mix them up with apple