Stolen Powerbook

Richard Bright deebee at aon.at
Tue Jun 22 06:46:12 PDT 2004

My marine biologist wife is recently returned from an excursion to
Dominica (in the Caribbean) wherein she took several students for 2
weeks of science, fun and sun (tough life). While there, only a few
days from leaving, the lab she had rented was broken into and some
low-lifers stole everything that wasn't bolted down: cameras,
underwater diving gear, digital recorders and converters, CD players,
portable hard disks, my iPod, a couple of wallets, you-name-it -- and
several laptops, inc. wifey's cherished TBook. Now, this took place in
an area not normally plagued by serious crime and the locals and the
police were quite astonished by the act... but all of these items are
no doubt long-gone from Dominica by now as it's a short boat hop over
to either Martinique or Guadalupe, both of which are rather bustling
compared to sleepy Dominica. Also, these neighboring islands are well
connected globally, particularly to Europe.

The entire digital data collected on this trip (photos, movies,
spreadsheats, etc.) got wiped out by the theft of course, but the
original collection data was still on paper and notes and has since
been re-entered, etc. Plus, I had done a complete back-up of the TBook
just before she left so it was not difficult to set-up a new iBook for
her to use for her work on her return. Photos that the students had
taken also filled in some gaps.

My question (sorry it's taken me so long to get to it): I remember
reading somewhere that Apple keeps a list of missing/stolen computer
IDs in the event one of these machines surfaces at a authorised dealer
or service center.
Does anyone here have a link or address I could write to and report
this?
PowerBook ser. no. QT244GXN4L
15" 867MHz, 60 GB IBM drive, 512 RAM, tilt-handle
bought under the name
Dr. Monica Bright
Universität Wien,
Institut für Ökologie und Naturschutz
Althanstr. 14, A-1090 Wien
Austria

Thanks in advance for any help and don't hesitate to forward the above
info if you already know the procedure...
also, if someone on this list is also on one or more of the Powerbook
lists would you be so kind as to post a copy of my note over there -
it's fine to give my dotMac addy to anyone who wants to contact me
directly with any pertinent info <modix at mac.com>

Richard Bright
Herzogenburg, Austria