[G4] Stolen Powerbook

Joseph B. Gurman gurman at gsfc.nasa.gov
Wed Jun 23 04:52:44 PDT 2004

     Richard Bright wrote:

[snip]

>My question (sorry it's taken me so long to get to it): I remember=20
>reading somewhere that Apple keeps a list of missing/stolen computer=20
>IDs in the event one of these machines surfaces at a authorised dealer=20=
>or service center.
>Does anyone here have a link or address I could write to and report=20
>this?

     There's a non-Apple-specific db of stolen computers:

	http://www.amcoex.com/Stolen/default.html .

     The PowerBook Zone says that:

>If a PowerBook is stolen, the serial number should be immediately
>reported to the Apple tech support center (800 SOS-APPL).  Apple keeps a
>database of serial numbers for use in verifying a machine's warranty
>status.  Every Apple Authorized Service Center checks with Apple to make
>sure that any machine brought in for service has a valid serial number,
>and that the machine is under warranty.  Apple will also tell the
>service tech at that time whether a given serial number shows up as
>being stolen.
>
>It also may work to simply inform the service center of a stolen unit's
>serial number, and the technician is supposed to contact Apple to have
>that serial number entered into the database as stolen.  However, as we
>all know, some technicians are better than others, and one runs the risk
>of a busy or non-caring tech "forgetting" to contact Apple.  The best
>bet is to contact Apple directly.
>
>Of course, as usual, the user should contact her credit card company,
>insurance company, police, etc., all the normal avenues for reporting a
>theft.  Unless the thief knows of Apple's serial number service
>database, however, reporting the stolen serial number to Apple usually
>has the highest chance of getting the stolen product returned.  Note:
>This procedure works for all Apple-branded hardware, not just
>PowerBooks.

and:

>Have the customer call Apple Customer Relations at: 800-767-2775, option
>4 and ask for customer relations. Make sure he has
>his PB serial number ready. Hope this helps.

     These may be old posts, but it sounds as though contacting Apple
directly is the best way to go.

     Best of luck,

						Joe Gurman
--
"I love deadlines. I love the whooshing sound they make as they go by."
                                                             - Douglas

Joseph B. Gurman, NASA Goddard Space Flight Center, Solar Physics
Branch, Greenbelt MD 20771 USA