[G4] Permissions on external HD

Perry The Cynic perry at cynic.org
Mon Jun 28 20:50:16 PDT 2004

--On Monday, June 28, 2004 4:37 PM +0200 Ole Visby <hamselv at olevisby.dk>
wrote:

> Hi everyone!
>
> I recently aquired a new external HD (FireWire). Is it possible to create
> folders on it with permissions set for only a single user (me), so that
> the content is, for instance, read-only or not accessible, unless
> logged-in as me, like on my startup drive?

Yes. Select the disk icon in the Finder. Do a "Get Info". Open the
"Ownership and Permissions" tab. Uncheck the "Ignore Ownership..."
checkbox. Then use the popups in that section (open "Details") to set who
can do what. You may have to click on the tiny padlock to the right to
change ownership, which will require Administrator privileges.

> [...] Do the permissions still apply
> if the drive is connected to a different computer?

No. The "ignore ownership" setting is separate for each computer.

Please understand that file permissions are "discretionary" (as the
security folk say): they only matter if all the systems involved agree on
what they mean. They cannot protect your files against someone who has
physical possession of the disk. If that's what you need, you must put an
encrypted disk image on the disk, and put your files into that; then access
is effectively controlled by who knows the password, on any computer.

Cheers
  -- perry