[G4] CD tray problem

Alex alist at sprint.ca
Wed Mar 3 21:25:24 PST 2004

On Wednesday, Mar 3, 2004, at 22:44 Canada/Eastern, Roxylee wrote:

> The CD tray on my G4 won't stay closed. It pops open each time I close
> it. I restarted, tried it with and without a CD in the tray, same
> thing keeps happening.  Any ideas how to fix this, or why it happened?
> It started after my daughter tried using LimeWire and Disc Burner, if
> that's any help. [...]

Funky. Never heard of this before. Have you tried to shut down the
machine, leave it off for a few minutes, then restart (as opposed to
issuing the Restart command). And it would help to know which G4 and
which OS you're using. If OS 9, boot with extensions off -- what
happens? If OS X, boot in single-user mode -- what happens? If the tray
pops out even with extensions off/in single user mode, it's likely a
mechanical or electrical problem. Have the drive replaced (if it's
under AppleCare); if not, here's your chance to replace it with a new
DVD writer.