[G4] Open ports on Linksys Router

listz listz at xs4all.nl
Sun Mar 7 11:46:59 PST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "k s d" <ksd003 at hotmail.com>
To: "Power Macintosh G4 List" <G4 at lists.themacintoshguy.com>
Sent: Sunday, March 07, 2004 04:07:28 PM
Subject: [G4] Open ports on Linksys Router

> Hi all. I want to open some ports on my Linksys Wireless-G router.
> Below is a snipit from the Linksys help regarding port forwarding:
>
>    When users send this type of request to your network via the Internet,
> the Router will forward those
>    requests to the appropriate PC. Any PC whose port is being forwarded
must
> have its DHCP client
>    function disabled and must have a new static IP address assigned to it
> because its IP address may
>    change when using the DHCP function.
>
> I do have my network settings set to "Configure: Using DHCP". After
reading
> above, I see that I probably have it set wrong. If I configure manually,
> what is enatailed with assigning a custom IP address with my G4? I also
have
> a PC running XP wirelessly from the router. What do I need to do there? I
> know these may may seem like broad questions, but I'm not even sure what
> ask - Sorry, I really don't know much about this stuff. If the info I need
> is something I could figure out by reading a couple of links, they would
be
> welcomed also.
>
> TIA,
> Kevin

Hi Kevin,

Yes if you want to do port forwarding, your Mac and PC must have DHCP
disabled otherwise if your IP changes (f.e if you re-connect at a later
time) the router can't find the IP address.

Best thing you can do is to assign IP numbers manually, to do this in OS X:
Open System Preferences/Network and show Built-in Ethernet if your G4 is
hard wired, otherwise select Airport.
Now change Configure IPv4 at the top to Manually, fill in by IP-address
192.168.1.2, subnetmask 255.255.255.0 and for router and DNS-server
192.168.1.1 (this is from Linksys itself saying that your router has the IP
192.168.1.1, see URL below), click apply, and you're done on the Mac. To
check if the router uses indeed 192.168.1.1 look at the settings before you
change it from DHCP to manually.

I have no experience with setting up a wireless PC, but I guess it's almost
the same as setting up a hard wired PC:
Open Start menu, on the right colum right click on Network Locations to ask
it's properties (or do it from the desktop), it'll open a new window showing
your network connection which is probably your wireless connection, right
click on that connection to ask it's properties, now click on the Internet
protocol (TCP/IP) and click Properties, now change the option to "Use the
following IP address", fill in 192.168.1.3 for IP-address, subnet mask
255.255.255.0, gateway 192.168.1.1, enable "Use following DNS-server
addresses", use 192.168.1.1. Then click OK, and OK.

Now you're done setting up your Mac and PC with manual IP-adresses:
Mac 192.168.1.2
PC 192.168.1.3

Now if you want to do a port forward for an app the Mac uses you have to
forward that port to 192.168.1.2, for the PC 192.168.1.3

See the explanation for port forwarding for the Linksys WRT54G here:
<http://www.linksys.com/support/top10faqs/wrt54g/Port%20forwarding%20or%20op
ening%20ports%20on%20the%20WRT54G.asp>

HTH,
Marc