[G4] Sleep: Good or Bad?

Zoki zoki.news at linuxix.net
Tue Mar 9 00:56:50 PST 2004

Le 06/02/2004 23:46, « Daniel Brieck » <djbrieck at mac.com> a écrit :

> I wonder how significant the reduction of the life of the
> Drive is by spinning up and down every  few minutes. This frequent spin
> up, spin down  is  promoted in mac os 10.2 and 10.3's Energy Saver
> System preference, hence the name "Put the hard disk(s) to sleep when

(snip)

*** It does. I've had 2 disks going bad because of spinning up and down
every so often.

Like Anne said, what you gain by putting it to sleep is noise reduction.

On the other hand, and I know it's not accessible to everybody, but putting
the fans on 5V and the HD on a peace of foam instead of screwing it directly
to the chassis has done more to quit the Mac's than sleep mode.

The here Mac's are on 24/24 except for the screen. They do automatic rsync
backups to the Linux servers or batch encode photos/movies, I use them as a
HiFi and, least important, I always have the latest mail waiting for me in
the Inbox when I go sit behind it.

So, unless your Mac is in the same room you're sleeping in I'd leave them on
and the screen in 1h sleep mode.

The fact is the electrical and mechanical stress at wake up wears the
components. You would care less if it was a PC because the update cycle is
faster bu the story is different with Mac's.

Zoran.

--
Cheers,
Zoran.

If C lets you shoot yourself in the foot, C++ lets you blow your whole leg
off.
  -- Bjarne Stroustrup