[G4] Brother laser printer behaving strangely

Wade Perry wadeperry at sbcglobal.net
Tue Mar 9 11:54:51 PST 2004

SNIP
> From: Ole Visby <hamselv at olevisby.dk>
> Subject: [G4] Brother laser printer behaving strangely
>
> Hi everybody!
>
> My Brother HL-1440 laser printer has been acting weird for about a month.
> Printout is fine, but sometimes it:
> 1) takes longer for it to print; everything from 30 sec. to more than 15
> mins.!
> 2) stops the printing queue for no apparent reason. It is possible to
> restart the printing again right away, but it is apt to stop again after
> printing one page!
>
> I¹m not trying to print anything heavy w/lots of graphics, and the problems
> are fairly recent.
> The drivers are fully updated. My setup is as follows: G4 400 Sawtooth, 512
> MB ram, 17 & 19 GB HD, OSX.3.2.
>
> Any help appreciated.
>
> - Ole Visby / DK

Ole,

I do not have a Brother Laser printer, but  DO have a Brother MFC, that
started having the same issues after the OS 10.3.2 install. Would print if
only certain applications were open, if you used a classic application
nothing would print, would spool to the printer and then not print, etc. I
tried everything to correct it, with no success. My system is:

933 Digital Audio (upgrade)
1.2 Gb RAM
80 Gb HD & 40 Gb HD
OS 10.3.2

I finally just removed all of the old "drivers" and re-installed the
original OS 9.x kit that came with the printer and went to the Brother web
page for the OS 10.x  updates, and reinstalled the whole thing. Working fine
now.

I listed the US and Europe update links below.

US Links

http://www.brother.com/

http://www.brother.com/E-ftp/info/index.html

Europe Links