[G4] WD200EB disk in Mac G4 MDD

Steven steven at sifre.nl
Thu Mar 11 12:05:08 PST 2004

Marc van Gemert wrote:

---8<---

> Alex <alist at sprint.ca> wrote:

>>Not applicable to the issue. Steven's machine requires cable select.
>
> Yes I know, but IIRC a while ago some MDDs and/or 2002 QSs had problems with
> their Superdrives not being 'seen' after the 10.2.x update which was fixed
> by changing the jumpers to master/slave, so if it was me I would try
> changing jumpers nevertheless.

Today I lost the drive altogether. When I started up it just made
clicking noises with short spin up attempts in between. I removed the
jumper and it still would not mount. But now at least Disk Utility
listed the drive (but not the volume on it). I proceeded to erase it
with zero all data option on. At a certain point Disk Utility became
unresponsive. So I had no choice but force quit it. I shut down and
booted several times after that with and without the first jumper in
place but it seems I lost the drive permanently now. It's not a big deal
really, I had this disk lying around and it would've been nice if I
could have used it. No important data were lost. Removing the jumper at
least seemed to give me one chance at rescuing it but it appears the
drive indeed has some really bad blocks... So it could well be Wayne is
right... Thanks all for the suggestions,

Steven

steven at sifre.nl