confused about drives

Roxylee roxylee at frontiernet.net
Thu Mar 18 07:43:11 PST 2004

Hello, smart people,

You might remember reading about my problem with the CD tray opening
every time iI close it. Well, I can't fix it, and the tech guys I
called don't have any answers, either, so it looks like I need to buy
a new CD drive. (I've tried everything in the book to figure out why
this is happening).

I'd like to buy a replacement drive that can fit exactly into the
internal drive bay (top one) where the broken one now sits. I have no
idea what to get, or what to avoid. Can someone please tell me
exactly what would work with my Mac and fit exactly?

specs:

Mac G4 AGP 466 Digital Audio
384 M, 30 G HD,
It is running sys, 9.2.2, and I want to install 10.3
as soon as I get the drive.

The setup book says drives must meet these specifications:

Width:   3.9 in. (102 mm)
Depth:   5.7 in (147 mm)
Height:  1.0 in (ATA) 1.6 in SCSI

I've searched the web and haven't found anything that matches these
specs. Someone suggested  a Pioneer DVD-RW drive, but I have no idea
which one. I know nothing about IDE, ATA, or SCSI interface. I'm
clueless. I'd like to keep the cost under $100 or so. We mostly need
this to install software and make/ burn CDs.

Thank you very much for any recommendations. Please include exact
model numbers if you can.  Thank you! :-)

Roxylee, the clueless