[G4] "Finder.dat" file?

Perry The Cynic perry at cynic.org
Fri Mar 19 18:02:07 PST 2004

Finder.dat is a file the (pre-OS X) Finder creates on MS-DOS formatted
drives (or a few other "foreign" formats) to hold the Finder information
that's usually stored on the Macintosh filesystem. That includes the
desktop database and the file metainformation (creator codes etc.)

You can ignore that file. If you throw it out, Icon positions etc. will be
reset but nothing terribly bad will happen. (You should use MS-DOS style
file extensions then, because you'll lose creator/type information.)
You can also reformat the drive using HFS/HFS+, which will get rid of
Finder.dat altogether, but will make the disk unreadable on Windows.

AFAIK, there's no way to tell the Finder not to (re)create this file on an
MS-DOS partition it writes.

Cheers
  -- perry

--On Friday, March 19, 2004 8:47 PM -0500 Shannon Nugent <shannon at nuge.com>