[G4] "Finder.dat" file?

Shannon Nugent shannon at nuge.com
Sat Mar 20 16:00:55 PST 2004

Ok.  That might answer another question I had in Director.  Usually
Director movies I create on the Mac or PC play fine on either system
(cross compatible),  but after deleting most of the "finder.dat" files
I found on the zip "which were visible for some reason" I had some
trouble with a project that we had started in class on the PCs.  Some
of the files seemed to be missing  or just generally messed up in the
score part of the movie on my Mac at home.  And one of my sounds
Director couldn't locate on the zip.  I had to redo a lot of the work
here (just replacing those files).  Deleting those files here might be
the reason.  I'll just leave it alone now and see if anything weird
happens from now on.

On Friday, March 19, 2004, at 09:02  PM, Perry The Cynic wrote:

> Finder.dat is a file the (pre-OS X) Finder creates on MS-DOS formatted
> drives (or a few other "foreign" formats) to hold the Finder
> information that's usually stored on the Macintosh filesystem. That
> includes the desktop database and the file metainformation (creator
> codes etc.)
>
> You can ignore that file. If you throw it out, Icon positions etc.
> will be reset but nothing terribly bad will happen. (You should use
> MS-DOS style file extensions then, because you'll lose creator/type
> information.)
> You can also reformat the drive using HFS/HFS+, which will get rid of
> Finder.dat altogether, but will make the disk unreadable on Windows.
>
> AFAIK, there's no way to tell the Finder not to (re)create this file
> on an MS-DOS partition it writes.
>
> Cheers
>  -- perry

"See the trailer for Mel Gibson's new movie at PassionofChristMovie.com"