Uninstalling [Was: Palm Again - Fixed and How]

Alex alist at sprint.ca
Fri Mar 26 09:14:40 PST 2004

On Friday, Mar 26, 2004, at 07:26 Canada/Eastern, Anne Keller-Smith
wrote:

> A general question about de-installing: My impression has been
> that most Mac programs do not require a de-install of the previous
> software version, in fact the opposite - to upgrade the previous
> version MUST be present. I am familiar with Photoshop, QuarkXpress,
> Illustrator, Dreamweaver, etc.

Uninstalling is one thing. Upgrading is another.

> Is de-installing more properly a Windows method? Or have I
> just had a narrow experience?

You've hit upon a weakness in Mac OS. There is no system facility for
uninstalling applications, as there is under Win. (Mind you, the Win
mechanism isn't at all robust, but at least there is something. On the
other hand, there is much less need on the Mac for something like
that.) So, at this point, you're pretty much left at the mercy of the
application's developer for the uninstall process.

(1) Under Mac OS X, the simplest installation procedure is to drag an
application's folder to /Applications. (A well-designed Mac application
should require no more; and I'm wary of applications which require
installers, especially third-party installers.) In this case,
uninstalling is equally simple -- just drag the respective folder to
the trash.

(2) If the application was installed with Installer.app, often you can
remove it as in (1); but that is not always enough. In case it isn't,
you can go back to the original package and start Installer again. It
may offer an Uninstall option (that depends on the installation script,
not on Installer); but, even if it doesn't, you can get a listing of
files to be installed (File > Show Files), so you'll know what to
remove.

(3) If the application was installed with a third-party installer, then
all depends on that installer and the installation script. You can
remove the application by trashing it, as in (1), but bits will be left
behind -- although it's much less likely than in Windows that they will
cause trouble. A well-designed installer and/or installer script will
have an uninstall option, and it's usually best to use it; if a
separate uninstaller is provided, use that. But in some cases you may
be left to your own devices, and removing all the nasty bits may be a
hairy process -- Norton Utilities is a notorious example. I keep track
of the process by doing a listing of the boot volume immediately before
running the installer, another immediately afterwards, and doing a diff
on the two files. Admitedly, it's cumbersome and inelegant -- but I'm
paranoid; I hate not knowing what's on my own hard drive.

As in Windows, the procedures above will not remove files which may be
created by the application after installation (e.g., prefs, logs,
regs), but such files are (with rare exceptions) benign and take next
to no space. If you really want to get rid of them as well, you must
either find them yourself or use a third party utility (such as Angelo
Scicolone's Prefs Overload <http://www.ziksw.com>) to do so.