[G4] Mail Questions

Anne Keller-Smith earthpigz at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 30 07:33:58 PST 2004

On Monday, March 29, 2004, at 11:12  PM, Alex wrote:
>  "Not trying to be picky, Anne, but I think you might get better --
>   and more timely -- suggestions if you provided all relevant details.
>   Which OS version?

Patience, Alex. I am not unintentionally providing you with less
information.
I am simply not as technical as you. OS info is in my signature - the
rest
is ignorance. I ass-u-me-d that my Mail is the one that comes with
Jaguar.
But ... you're right ... not necessarily.

Let me make up by saying I will take on the next newbie coming down the
pike, so you can answer a more sophisticated question. And, perhaps
these
questions would be more appropriate for the OSXNewbies list. I used to
be
on it, but didn't need it much until I started with these latest
updates.

> The off-line setting is irrelevant to POP accounts, which are
> (simplifying) always off-line (cf.
> <http://www.imap.org/papers/imap.vs.pop.brief.html>; see also your
> Help -- search for "POP mail"). I suspect you have POP.

I do - now that the issue is raised.

> Try <http://homepage.mac.com/aamann/Eudora_Mailbox_Cleaner.html>

I will. And your frustration is understood. I assist my father who
still doesn't quite get the
difference between his computer and the internet. I have to grit my
teeth not to yell sometimes.
It seems obvious to me, because I have the mental models. (And the
Eudora thing - I have
a mental model for Eudora that just doesn't match the one for Mail,
which may indeed be
more intuitive for someone unexposed to any email program.)