[G4] DVD-RAM replacement?

Dale Hoffman dhoff at margnat.com
Sun May 2 10:30:05 PDT 2004

>Ok, finally have gotten to this project.
>
>Has anyone ever replaced their old DVD-RAM from G4 sawtooth with a
>newer (supported) DVD+/- RW?
>
>If so, what kind did you use?
>
>Did you get it to work with the DVD-RAM drive's face plate properly?
>If not, did you get something else instead?
>
>Thanks - I am not really jazzed at dropping big $$$s on RAM media
>when I can get cheaper RW media and better performance (e.g., CD
>burning, etc) all in one!

We've replaced plain CDROMs on two Sawtooths and a couple of dual
processor G4s with Pioneer DVR-106 which fit the face plate and work
in all other respects. CJ's suggestion to get an external  would
allow you to copy DVD/CD's, but the actual hardware replacement
process is not that bad. OtherWorld Computing has illustrated
installation guides online.
DaleH