[G4] Which X11 Server ?

screams at gmx.net screams at gmx.net
Mon May 3 00:52:30 PDT 2004

Hey Perry,

> The X11 server for Mac OS X wasn't discontinued; it was integrated into
> the system. It's now an optional item during system installation or
> upgrade.

though that's right, only for Panther. For Jaguar Apple discontinued
developing the X11 server and the one which you mean does not support
Jaguar (it is not installable under jaguar :-( and the older version
can not be found on Apple's Website anymore.

> Likewise, the SDK (programming interface) is part of the developer tools.
> (Click on the "Custom" button on the last page in the installer.)
> Apparently Apple thinks this is a "niche" product that most people won't
> miss by default. :-)

I miss it :-) because my problem is to get an X11 server to work with
Jaguar, NOT with Panther. I tried the XFree86 server, but this version
does it's job not very good :(  (Maybe it was an earlier version?)

Cheerio !

Udo

--
NEU : GMX Internet.FreeDSL