SATA vs. ATA (was posting,please?)

Al Poulin alpoulin at cox.net
Tue May 4 17:55:41 PDT 2004

Alex <alist at sprint.ca> wrote:

> solution is to get a new controller, either by installing a new ATA
> card (SATA preferably), or by using an external enclosure which is
> 48-bit capable. Which alternative is best depends on specific needs.

I became aware of "SATA" just a couple days ago.  So that reminded me of the
multiple flavors of SCSI.

Anyway, please describe the differences between SATA and ATA.  Can SATA
drives run in Macs built for ATA?  If I want to upgrade hard drives in my
QuickSilver G4 733 in a couple years, will I need to install a new PCI card?

Many thanks,
--
Al Poulin
Anger, hate, and revenge are for the devil, forgiveness is for God,