[G4] 200GB Drive in G4-450 AGP with ATA-4 Bus

BDS bsilverio at necc.mass.edu
Mon May 10 17:08:36 PDT 2004

It looks like you can get the full capacity out of that drive.

Taken from the FAQ at
http://forums.xlr8yourmac.com/action.lasso?-database=faq.fp3&-
layout=FaqList&-response=answer.faq.lasso&-recordID=33772&-search

DISCLAIMER:
I have no business relationship with any of the people or companies
referenced below.

Q:  I have an IDE drive larger than 128GB and it does not format to the
full size
A:  (from the March 24th, 2004 www.xlr8yourmac.com news page)
Intech wrote they've posted an OS X extension/driver which enables
48bit addressing/big drive support for older macs onboard IDE. (Their
previous Speedtools Disk Driver enabled big drive support for OS 9
users.)

  " Hey Mike I thought your readers would be interested to know that
there is a finally a driver solution for all those people out there
trying to run ATA extended capacity drives (over 128 GB in size) under
MacOS X on their G3's and older G4's. (QS 2002, iMac G4, eMac, MDD and
later Macs have native big drive support, but not older models)
We just finished releasing a driver which enables this support on those
machines
http://www.speedtools.com/ATA6.html.
  We've verified support all the way back to a Beige G3/233 and tested
several languages as well. We've included an intelligent installation
and removal utility which allows simultaneous installation/removal on
multiple bootable volumes. Combine this product with our Hard Disk
SpeedTools for MacOS 9, and you've got a full OS 9 & X Hi-Cap solution!
  Christopher P. Karr
  V.P. Engineering
  Intech Software Corporation
http://www.speedtools.com/ "

NOTE: See the limitations and notes on the linked page above and fully
read the PDF readme file on "safe partitioning", etc. with this OS X
extension. (Regarding booting from CD, OS X install CDs, Disk repair
CDs, etc.) Also note they don't support the B&W G3's primary IDE bus (I
wrote to ask if this includes the rev B B&W G3s with revised IDE chip -
he later replied they had only tested with rev 1/rev A B&W G3s which
have the flawed IDE chip.)
  See below for older info on other options for big drive support:

  Note: Apple's August 2002 G4 "Mirrored Drive Door" systems (and
Xserve) natively support 48-bit addressing to fully utilize large
drives (Hitachi, Western Digital and Maxtor now sell 'big' drives -
180, 200, 250GB and one of Maxtor's latest drives have capacities of
320GB. Larger drives are sure to appear.)
  And despite the Apple kbase doc noting on the MDD and Xserve models
natively supporting "big" drives (without addon drivers for
controllers) - owners of Quicksilver 2002 and iMac G4s have reported
native support (full capacity) with large drives formatted in OS X
10.2.x. (Also the current eMacs have big drive support - search the
drive database here for the latest reports.) See this article linked
off the main www.xlr8yourmac.com IDE and Systems topics pages.
(Although the drive database is updated more often for reports, this
page shows a sample of past owner reports on those mac models with
large drives.)
  Also note that current eMac owners also have reported native "big"
drive support.

  In the past you needed either a PCI IDE controller (i.e. Acard
ATA/100+, ATA/133) or Intechusa.com's (OS 9 only) Speedtools v6
drivers, or a Firewire bridge board with firmware that supported 48-bit
addressing.

  (older/previous info follows from shortly after Maxtor released the
first "big" IDE drive - their 160GB model - a few years back)

  Maxtor was the first vendor to release an IDE drive larger than 128GB,
their 160GB ATA/133 model. (now there are many other choices of even
larger drives, 180GB, 200GB, 250GB, etc.) As noted in past drive
database reports and main site news items, an ATA/133 compatible
interface is required (which uses 48-bit addressing) to be able to use
the full capacity of the drive - or a driver that supports 48-Bit
addressing. (If used with an ATA/3, ATA/33, ATA/66, etc. card the drive
max size is limited to 128GB or so without a 48-bit disk driver.)
  Intech's 3.5 Disk Driver update added support for large drives noted
in the April 2002 www.xlr8yourmac.com news which had a  Q&A with Intech
on SpeedTools 3.5 Update Large Drive Support - but as noted there - to
date they have no OS X support (yet at last as of late 2002).

  If you own an Acard ATA/100+ (or ATA/133 - SIIG ATA/133 cards are also
Acard based) Mac IDE PCI Card, there is an update that is reported to
allow full use of the >128GB drives. (This chip is ATA/133 compatible).
A reader noted in a Jan 2002 drive database entry for his Maxtor 160GB
drive that the Acard OS X driver update for this Acard ATA/100+ card
allowed full use of the 160GB drive. (See the Jan 4th, 2002 news page
for details. You can also see Brian's report by searching the Drive
Compat. Database by selecting Maxtor as the drive brand, HD as drive
type, IDE PCI Card as interface, Dual G4 as mac model, and OS X as OS
version.)

  (FYI - Readers have reported the SIIG ATA/100+ and Miglia ATA/100+ Mac
IDE cards are really based on the same Acard controller, so this tip
may also work for those card owners.)

  Reminder on Drive Size vs Formatted Capacity: For those that missed
the older FAQ item here, remember no drive formats the the "rated"
size. This is due to the fact the drives are rated using decimal (base
10) numbering system vs the computer using binary (base 2) numbering.
[I.E. 1K in decimal is 1000, 1K in binary is 1024, There's an older FAQ
item in this section that covers this in detail. (See the question
titled How come my new XX GB Hard Drive is not XX GB after being
formatted?