SCSI Speeds w/ 29160 and Single Cuda

affirmed at mindspring.com affirmed at mindspring.com
Mon May 17 07:23:38 PDT 2004

> What is the Maximum speed or transfer rate, obtain using
> scsi, on a G4 Saw Tooth, using a Adaptec card 29160 ?

The best source for information on SCSI on Macs that I've found is
www.macgurus.com

Check out the FAQ, the database of drive/controller combos and the forums.

I don't know the answer to your issue, but someone there will.

BTW, when you say:

> the controller is reading 80 MB not 160

What do you mean? Are you running xBench, HDST or some other benchmarking
software? Or are you seeing something under Apple System Profiler?

If you mean that you're getting "real world" performance closer to 80 than
to 160, that's understandable because you're running a single drive on a
single channel. You won't approach the 160 mark except for short bursts or
if you're running multiple drives striped as a RAID. 160 refers to the
maximum possible under all the right conditions, not to what you could
expect in an everyday single-drive setup, even with a hot Seagate Drive.

I am not aware that Seagate Barracudas run 15K. I thought that Cudas max out
at 7200 RPM, while Cheetahs are available in 10k and 15k flavors.

I run several raids standardized on 10K Cheetahs, and love those drives.
Won't use anything other than Seagate.

Keep us uptodate on what you learn.

Todd