[G4] Appleworks ... So Frustrated

Alex alist at sprint.ca
Thu May 20 11:52:36 PDT 2004

On Thursday, May 20, 2004, at 11:45 Canada/Eastern, Anne Keller-Smith
wrote:

>  [...] Tech says I'm looking at an archive install, and I really don't
> want to do that. Seems
> like a sledgehammer to fix a bent nail.

Don't know what your problem is, but if you're talking about
reinstalling OS X with the archive/preserve user settings option, it
may be good advice. OS X is complex piece of machinery, and sometimes
troubleshooting may take far more time than reinstalling. You may have
to reinstall third-party software (e.g., printer drivers) afterwards,
but, if you have been a careful and methodical user, that should still
not be a big deal.

> G4 733mHz (OS X 10.2.0/Classic)

There is no conceivable reason to use v10.2.0. As you've already been
advised, you should reinstall and upgrade to v10.2.8 (the upgrades are
free). Troubleshooting v10.2.0 is a waste of time.

> 896 MB RAM, 40 MB hard drive

You must let us in on your secret -- how did you manage to install Mac
OS X on a 40MB hard drive? (My first Mac had a 40MB hard drive, more
years ago than I'd care to remember. WriteNow, WingZ, Continuum... Ou
sont les neiges dantan?)