Upgrades and Updates

Anne Keller-Smith earthpigz at earthlink.net
Mon May 24 05:21:25 PDT 2004

Hi, thanks for everyone's help so far. It's been just wonderful. I hope
I can get to the level
you all are on this list and can help out more!

Got everything working again and taking a hiatus from the issues to
pack for camping
this weekend. A whole different set of technical issues, heh heh.

However, when I get back I will have to think seriously about updating
to 10.2.8 because
of the security fix, which is only available for that version and
above. Once I get myself
updated, I will do same with my Dad's machine, assuming I can pry him
loose from
OS 10.1 and get him to buy Jaguar. It really *IS* time.

All kinds of questions, and also a realization that I must avail myself
of resources out
there and not just bug you guys before I look at that stuff. So I will
list them here, but
also do my own research as well. Going over to macfixit.com,
kbase.info.apple.com,
and versiontracker.com. Have been to all these sites from time to time,
but things
worked so well for so long I got rusty AND I find searching very
difficult in terms of
actually finding answers to specific questions. A great deal of
information, but
often nothing on my problem. I think I am a lousy keyword framer ...

Questions -

What's involved with a clean install? Of OSX? Of OS9? What are the
advantages/
disadvantages of doing a clean install of Jaguar? Should I skip Jaguar
and just
go to Panther? Should I upgrade OS9 from 9.2.1 to 9.2.2? Should I
partition?
Does know a resource with a step-by-step for partitioning and related
matters like this? (Missing Manual doesn't really cover, and yeah, I
need to buy
a new one).

I need how-tos and information to help me evaluate whether and when. If
I update
to 10.2.8, will my HP4400C scanner still work? - I note from their site
there are still
as of yet no OSX drivers. My Palm 500? Etc. Is there an easier way to
get one's settings
back? (I have taken extensive notes from my present episode, which will
help with any
future ones.)

I need to do better backups. I'm doing fine with documents, but I let
the whole system
backup wait too long. (It was very time-consuming.) How do I learn more
about Dantz
Retrospect, in terms of evaluating the best backup procedure for me? Go
to their site,
of course ... I also feel the whole system backup was prolly
compromised by whatever
problem I had, and would like to start over. I now know how to use it
better. Also, I should
update the OS9 to 9.2.2, but on a dialup this is frightfully slow, so
prolly
need to get my brother to d/l on his fast connex on Windows and mail me
a CD. Will
this work? It did for OS9.1 for the laptop. Will this work for the
10.2.8 update?

I certainly do trumpet the need to do backups! Backing up keeps saving
my life,
that's for certain!

Anne Keller Smith
Down to Earth Web Design