[G4] adding sounds

Alex alist at sprint.ca
Thu May 27 03:31:33 PDT 2004

On Wednesday, May 26, 2004, at 20:50 Canada/Eastern, Linda Hutcheson
wrote:

> Is it possible to add new sounds to the sound file in OSX?

You can add new sounds. Not to the "sound file", because OS X doesn't
have a single sound file, but to the locations where OS X expects to
find sounds. As you might expect, these locations are

/System/Library/Sounds/

OS X's built-in sounds; could be modified with root access, but it's
best to leave it untouched.

/Library/Sounds/

Shared -- sounds placed here will be available to all users. Requires
admin privs. (If a Sounds folder doesn't exist in /Library, you may
create one.)

~/Library/Sounds/

Your own sounds repository -- only you can use sounds in this location.
(If a Sounds folder doesn't exist in ~/Library, you may create one.)

Sounds have to be in AIFF format, and they must have the filename
extension ".aif".

> I have some old favorites on my 8500 I'd like to move over to the G4.
> I tried a drag and drop but it said sounds couldn't be modified.

Probably you tried to add sounds to /System/Library/Sounds/. Not a good
idea -- use the other two locations.

<0x0192>