[G4] G4 shutting off

Ronald Steinke ronsteinke at mac.com
Wed Nov 3 16:36:57 PST 2004

On 3 Nov, 2004, at 13:04, Kevin Willis wrote:

My Gigabit G4 shut off on me three times yesterday.  I was just
browsing the internets when it just switched off.  I turned it back on
used it for a few hours, then it shut off again.  I restarted it, used
it for a few minutes, went to bed, woke up, and it was off again.  My
first thought was the power supply.   Has anybody else had this happen
to them?  If so, what was the problem?

Have you set the automatic shut-down/power manager to kick in after a
period of non-use? If you set the machine to shutdown by the clock and
are using it at the specified time, you can get rudely surprised. Or,
if you set it to shut down after logging out of a program, you can get
the same surprise.

Always look for the less expensive remedy first. Check your preferences
first, then look at the possibility of a suspicious power supply.