[G4] Printer Problem...

Snow White jj4 at sympatico.ca
Mon Nov 15 17:59:06 PST 2004

How to Set-up Printer in OSX 10.2 & 10.3 via Parallel Port

How to Configure Asanté Routers with Print Server Option in OS X

NOTE: These instructions assume that you have a printer that supports
uni-directional printing and PostScript Level II connected to the
Asante router's parallel port.

The print server configuration for the Asanté FriendlyNET FR3004LC,
FR3004FLC, and FR1004AL using OS X is quite simple. The printer model
must support PostScript Level II. Make sure you have installed the
proper printer driver from your printer’s manufacturer before
beginning. In many cases you can use the Apple “Generic” printer driver
that comes with OS X for third-party printers.

·In the OS X Finder, under the ‘Go’ drop down list select
‘Applications’.
·In the ‘Applications’ folder open the ‘Utilities’ folder.
·Select ‘Print Center’ (OS X 10.1 and OS X 10.2), or ‘Printer Setup
Utility’ (OS X 10.3). In the Printer List click ‘Add’.
·In the ‘Printer List’ drop down menu select ‘LPR Printers using IP’
(OS X 10.1), or IP Printing (OS X 10.2, 10.3).
·Enter the Asante router’s IP address in the ‘Printer Address’ field.
By default the router’s IP address is 192.168.123.254. If you have
changed the router’s IP address enter in the new IP address you have
assigned to it.
·For the ‘Queue Name’ you must enter ‘lp’ (don’t add quote marks),
meaning ‘local port’, in lower case letters.
NOTE: A common mistake is to enter the queue name as IP, or Ip, as in
'Internet Protocol'. This is incorrect and will not work.
·Next, choose the appropriate ‘Printer Model’ from the ‘Printer Model’
list. If your third party printer is an Apple LaserWriter compatible
model that supports Post Script Level II, then you can choose ‘Generic’
as the printer model. When you have selected the Printer Model click
‘Add’.
·Your printer should now be available in the Printer List. This
indicates that the printer has been added.

Adding your printer is now complete.

jj

On 15-Nov-04, at 12:37 PM, g4-request at listserver.themacintoshguy.com