[G4] Re: Big DIMMs

Nicolas Kinnan nasw at pcmagic.net
Wed Nov 17 22:35:59 PST 2004

Thanks for the advice, so far.

I was wondering about the 1.5GB limit, as I had remembered reading
somewhere that that was primarily an OS9 issue.  I know that allot of
RAM limits in the past were based less on CPU restrictions and more on
what the biggest chips were that could be used for testing prior to
product release.

I suppose my dream right now, one of them anyway, is that some Apple
person reads this list and figures a cool Christmas gift to those of us
who can't afford a new computer right now would be a firmware update
enabling 1GB DIMMS in the G4.

This would be especially nice as then, considering the aforementioned
2GB limit, I could max out my RAM "something fierce" and also keep the
DIMM slot that is closer than I would like to the CPU heatsink empty.

I'm still a little surprised that an even 1GB or RAM is no longer
considered unusual now -- I was kind of hoping that we'd rest at 512 or
768MB for a little while.  What happened to make things kind of shoot
up past 512, anyway?  Is OSX really eating up so much memory in my
machine?  Is there an easy way to check, like in the old OS9 days?

A.