[G4] Problems with Radeon 8500

Kevin Willis res19rmg at verizon.net
Mon Nov 22 15:35:10 PST 2004

	I am trying to use a 64 Mb AGP Radeon 8500 in my G4. I installed it,
then installed the firmware update and latest drivers from ATI. After
that, my system started to hang after a few minutes of playing Halo. It
also started to shut off all of a sudden from time to time. I had the
same problem a couple of weeks ago after installing a similar card. I
sent it back to the people I bought it from and reinstalled my PCI
Radeon 7000 in the meantime.  It ran fine for the week and a half I
waited to receive the replacement card. After installing that card, I
started having the problems again.

	I am starting to think it might be a flashed PC card that doesn't
handle the firmware upgrade very well. I would like to undo the
firmware update and try it like that if anybody knows how to do that.
Any thoughts on this problem would be greatly appreciated. It is
virtually impossible to play Halo with the 7000 card installed.

Thanks--

Kevin