[G4] Strange things from flashed 8500 Radeon

Kevin Willis res19rmg at verizon.net
Fri Nov 26 20:03:04 PST 2004

I have been trying to get a flashed Radeon 8500 to work properly in my
G4 for almost a week.  It went bad when I applied the latest firmware
update from ATI.  Finally, I gave up and decided to try and flash it
back to a PC for my wife's computer.  This was my first attempt at
flashing, and I don't think I used the correct ROM.  After flashing it,
I received no signal when it was installed in the PC.  So, I stuck it
back in my G4 to see if it worked and what ROM showed up in ASP.  The
card still worked in the G4, and the ROM listed was 113-85710-220.  So,
I started playing Halo to see how long it tookk to freeze up.  The card
outlasted me.  After about a hour and a half, it was still working
fine.  I opened up the display control panel, and checked out the
available options.  All of a sudden, there was a option for dual and
mirror displays that wasn't there before.  Don't know what I did, but
it seems to be working fine now.  Who knows?

Thanks--

Kevin