[G4] Radeon 8500 only works with Radeon 7000

Kevin Willis res19rmg at verizon.net
Sat Nov 27 18:46:44 PST 2004

OK.  After trying everything to get this 8500 to work in my G4, I
finally found a way to make it work.  I don't know why it works, but
after a week of tweaking, this is the only way it will run without
locking up my system during heavy graphics use.  I have to have the
8500 in the AGP slot and a 7000 PCI card in the adjacent PCI slot.  I
don't understand it.  After playing Halo for a few hours with this set
up, it was still going strong.  I shutdown, pulled the PCI card and
restarted.  After about 2 minutes of Halo, the system froze up.  I
restarted and tried again but had the same results.  I reinstalled the
PCI card and it worked fine for a couple more hours.  What in the world
is the relationship between the AGP card and the PCI card?  Why does
one need the other to function properly?

Thanks--

Kevin