[G4] How much memory?

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Sat Nov 27 19:06:44 PST 2004

On 11/27/04, Kevin Willis <res19rmg at verizon.net> wrote:

> I am wondering how much memory a Gigabit G4 can hold.  I have 1 Gb (4 X
> 256) in my system along with a 1 Ghz Sonnet CPU. I noticed that after a
> few days without shutting down, some of my apps. like Safari and and
> Mail won't load.  After I restart, they work fine.  Today it happened
> after playing Halo for a few hours and then trying to check my mail.
> If it will hold 2 Gb of RAM, do you think that will allow it run longer
> between restarts?

Why wonder? Search Apple's Knowledge Base at
<http://search.info.apple.com/>. See
<http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=20434> for Power Mac
Configurations. According to this: Gigabit G4s can hold and use 2 GB.
Caveat: Although 2 GB can be physically installed, a maximum of 1.5 GB is
recognized by Mac OS 9. Mac OS X will see the entire 2 GB.