[G4] How much memory?

Snow White jj4 at sympatico.ca
Sun Nov 28 07:55:49 PST 2004

Memory leak is when an app first starts and a call is put into the
system for a certain amount of RAM to be reserved for its use only and
then once the app uses it and runs it demands more RAM from the system
as needed, but never 'remembers' to relinquish its un-used RAM back to
the system.  Some very bad programs even 'forget' to reliquish the RAM
back when the are closed, so every time it is started a new call for
RAM is sent.  Eventually this eats up most of the available RAM and
everything runs real slow or crashes.  It is caused by miopic
programming or bad programming.

Your problem could also be bad RAM. One or some of your chips may have
gone south,  Are you using Generic RAM? Is there a warrantee? Did you
run a RAM Checker program to test it?  I found bad sticks in my G4
after about 1 year of use - some of the generic Ram is not perfect and
OSX is very picky.

jj

On 27-Nov-04, at 9:46 PM, g4-request at listserver.themacintoshguy.com