[G4] Re: DVR-108 question

Ron Steinke ronsteinke at mac.com
Fri Oct 1 14:02:55 PDT 2004

SuperDrive refers to the capability of the drive. It is not the "name"
of the drive in System Profiler.

Your drive is identified as {Product Identification "DVD-RW DVR-108"}.
This means that you have a DVD burner that is capable of writing DVD
discs and also erasing DVD discs as long as they are the right type,
ie: DVD-RW discs. It is also capable of reading and writing to CD and
CD-RW discs. Of course, this depends on whether or not the drive is
supported by Apple's proprietary disc burning software.

You might have to use a third-party software program to get the full
capabilities of the drive. I do not know whether or not your drive is
fully supported by Apple's software, perhaps someone else can answer
that for you.

For your information,
The ComboDrive is capable of reading and writing CD and CD-RW discs but
ONLY reading DVD discs. It cannot write to a DVD disc.
The SuperDrive is capable of reading and writing to all formats, ie:
CD/CD-RW and DVD/DVD-RW discs.