[G4] Video cards

Mel Krewall mkrewall at mac.com
Fri Oct 8 21:24:05 PDT 2004

Jim,
The main question comes down to: How much do you want to spend? In
order of performance - the top of the heap is the Nvidia Geforce 6800
for about $600 from the Apple Store (I have read that availability of
this card is pretty scarce). Then comes the ATI Radeon 9800 SE and Pro,
$400 and $350 respectively (less from many online stores). Below that
is the Radeon 9200 PCI ($130) and 9000 AGP ($150), but I'm not sure
they're any faster than your Geforce 4 Ti. You can probably find some
Geforce 5200s on eBay, but I'm almost sure they don't work in G4s.
That's pretty much it. ATI has yet to come out with a Mac version of
their latest X800 card. I don't think any of the cards would have more
than basic capability in OS 9. Development of drivers for OS 9 video
cards just about stopped almost two years ago. I know I've read about
people complaining that the ATI cards don't have some of the good
features in OS 9. Same is probably true for Nvidia.
HTH,
Mel

"May thy ball lie in green pastures - and not in still waters."
~Author Unknown