[G4] OSX maintenance

Mel Krewall mkrewall at mac.com
Wed Sep 15 20:17:33 PDT 2004

If you are running Panther, the journaled file system that was
introduced with 10.3 eliminates the need to run fsck when booting after
an abnormal shutdown, which is why you might have noticed that it boots
much faster after an event like that than Jaguar did. If you are still
running Jaguar, it will sit at the clock-looking spinner for quite a
while as the OS runs fsck to repair any filesystem damage. If you want
to watch this you can hold down command-v (verbose mode) as soon as you
hit the power switch and you will get the Unix white-on-black boot
sequence text screen that shows you way more than you ever wanted to
know about what goes on with Mac OS X under that pretty Aqua skin.
Mel

"May thy ball lie in green pastures - and not in still waters."
~Author Unknown