[G4] Sonnet Encore install

Nathan Gable nagable at comcast.net
Sun Sep 26 20:59:28 PDT 2004

I don't think the little button is for CUDA reset.  I think it's a
PMU (power management unit) button that will reset the chip that
manages all the powered functions of the computer.  There are special
instructions on how to do that and if not followed you risk killing
the battery.

If you wanted to reset the logic board (which is what the CUDA chip
did in the older machines), you should unplug the computer and take
the battery out for about 10 minutes.

Nate

>In the old (waw!) it was practice to do so.  That's what I have
>read.  Now maybe with new chips on these new cards, it's no longer
>necessary.
>
>Paul Moortgat
>

>On 26-sep-04, at 21:11, Ron Steinke wrote:
>>
>>On Sep 25, 2004, at 12:31 PM, Paul Moortgat wrote:
>>
>>The normal way is that you reset the Cuda.  But if it works,
>>there's no need for to do it.
>>
>>Paul Moortgat
>>
>>On 25-sep-04, at 21:10, Kevin Willis wrote:
>>
>>>I just received my Sonnet 1 Ghz Encore card for my G4/400 Gigabit
>>>Mac.  I read and followed the instructions that came with it.  It
>>>boots and shows up in ASP as a 1 Ghz CPU.  I didn't see anywhere
>>>in the instructions about resetting the Cuda.  Do I need to reset
>>>it or not?  It seems to be working fine, is there anything else I
>>>need to do?  I just popped it in and fired it up.
>>>
>>>Thanks--
>>>
>>>Kevin
>>>

>>I am not sure exactly why you are saying that the normal way is to
>>reset the CUDA when I could not find any reference to having to do
>>that in any of the literature that came with either my 800MHz or my
>>1GHz Sonnet upgrades.
>>
>>What is the reason for doing that, if any?
>>
>>Everything that I have read indicates to me that resetting the CUDA
>>is a "last ditch effort" to correct some problem that you cannot
>>resolve by zapping the PRAM or rebuilding the desktop file.

Birthdays are good for you; the more you have, the longer you live.