[G4] Re: [Cube] Bluetooth for Cube=> no Headset support? (X-post)

Steve Goldstein sng at cox.net
Fri Apr 1 06:53:43 PST 2005

Yeah, I read, after the fact, that this is the Apple-blessed BT adapter for OS X.  But, I just purchased an "Anycom" USB-120 BT Adapter, because the advert. said that it is compatible with BT 1.2, which, apparently, can handle multiple devices at one time.  And, i got a Plantronics M3000 BT Headset, thinking that I could use it for Skype, iChat, etc.  Well, the BT icon showed up instantly, no fiddling required, in the menu bar (actually, I am on a Quicksilver 2002 using OS 10.3.8), and I did all the things that one needs to do to set up the headset, including the discovery step.  There was no setup category for "headsets" (first clue for the clueless me!), so I had to use "other."  The Headset was recognized as a "M3000 by Plantronics" without any problems by the BT setup routine, but when I hit "continue" the message was "Failed to set up the headset. Headsets are not supported on your Bluteooth hardware."  Then, I downloaded and installed the latest Bluetooth software (1.5.3 (v1.5.4f6) -- Restart Required...of course!), and still the same thing happened.

When I went to the D-Link website, it gave no warm fuzzy feelings that headsets would be supported by the DBT-120 BT dongle, and its firmware is only up to BT v1.1, and the Apple BT site gives no assurances about headset support, either.  So unless someone knows something positive about headset support, I will not order one of the D-Links.  My suspicion is that OS 10.3.x still does not support headsets.  Can anybody confirm this?  Does anybody know if Tiger will support BT headsets?

Thanks for your assistance and counsel,

Steve