[G4] Additional HDs and Photoshop

Robert C. Buitron rcbuitron at speakeasy.net
Fri Apr 8 17:57:08 PDT 2005

I have a G4 mirrored doors drive, 1.25 GHz, dual processor/ 80 GB ultra
ATA HD. It has max RAM - 2GB. I have 2 Maxtor MaxLine II ATA/133 IDE
300GB hard drives and an ACard  ATA133 controller/adapter PCI card
(AEC-6280M) that can support up to 4 HDs (Master/Slave).

Can I partition the original 80GB HD so that one partition holds the OS
and apps and the other partition serves as the scratch disk for
Photoshop? The main reason for the two 300GB HDs is storage. I've nearly
max-ed on the existing HD and I'd rather have image files on HDs rather
than on CDs or DVDs (takes too long and too many disks to transfer
stuff). I also would like to use the two HDs as masters in order to
maximize bandwidth speed when retrieving and storing files. I do have a
portable 40GB HD, however I use it for transporting files as well as for
some backup storage. I read somewhere that Photoshop prefers an entire
disk for its scratch disk. It seems a 300GB scratch disk is way too
much. My image files range from the KBs to the GBs. I mostly have files
on the larger size (especially the working files with all the layers and
stuff). Any recommendations (and I don't have RAID capability or more
money for external HDs), answer to this strategy, or better way to get
some increase in rendering/processing in Photoshop with the above
hardware and very large files are welcomed.

I'm not very tech savvy about this, just enough to get by, so please
indulge me and give a clear, step-by-step answer or strategy of how to
set the hard drives up for what I have in mind.

Thanks,
Robert