[G4] OT: Unusual Apple sales policy.

John Erdman jperdman at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 12 11:40:55 PDT 2005

Can anybody explain this weird Apple distributor policy?

I'm about ready to order a new G5 to replace my now-creaky Sawtooth.
And I've been shopping around.
	At Smalldog, a company that I like to deal with, I learned that as an
authorized Apple dealer they cannot sell *new* Apple equipment over the
Web unless the prospective purchaser is a returning Smalldog customer.
Apparently, they can sell used or refurbished equipment to anybody.
Just not new current Apple products. The sales person I was dealing
with couldn't really explain what the purpose of this limitation is.
All she could say was that they didn't like the restriction either  at
Smalldog because it interfered with first time sales, but that it was
part of their distribution agreement with Apple.  It also apparently
applies only to web sales. Anybody walking in off the street can
purchase any Apple product, but not the web customer.

To me this policy a rather bizarre and would tend to be a barrier to
sales. Can anybody here suggest a logical reason as to why such a
policy would exist?

If you want to see for yourself, go to www.smalldog.com look for one of
the specials that requires Top Dog status and follow the links to the
"Top Dog Club" to see what I'm talking about.

Thanks,
John