[G4] Best use for the 2nd HD

Ronald Steinke ronsteinke at mac.com
Tue Apr 12 15:43:17 PDT 2005

On 12 Apr, 2005, at 6:51, Raymond E. Hardy wrote:

First thoughts about the best use for this new drive suggest that I
should try to put all my "document" files on this "slave" drive -i.e.,
all my audio, picture, Word, QuickBooks, etc. with the OS and
Application files remaining on the 1st drive.

Once again I've got a lot of "newby" questions and will value any
suggestions.
Would you copy the documents to the 2nd drive then simply "select" the
originals on 1st drive and delete them? - hoping to improve
performance.
If this is the best idea, can the Applications be set up to seamlessly
access and save files to the 2nd drive?
Should I usually start the desired application by selecting a document
from the 2nd drive?

Ray,
My suggestion is to utilize the larger drive as your main drive:
install an OS on it, install your applications and move all your old
documents to it. You can do this in one step if you use a clone maker
like CarbonCopyCloner from http://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html or
DateBackup from ProSoft Engineering at www.prosofteng.com. You will
have the larger space to use for all your needs which will ease the
pressure on your old drive.

Once you make the larger drive your main, you can reformat and use the
smaller drive as a "Save" location by using the save dialogue window to
choose the location where you want the document.

Once you have your documents saved to the location you want, whenever
you double-click one of them, it will automatically cause the program
that created it to launch no matter which drive the program is located
on.