[G4] Re: G4 Digest, Vol 8, Issue 11

rich northouse rnorthouse at wi.rr.com
Fri Apr 15 12:27:10 PDT 2005

Shopdog,

The technology is different between an ATA and a SATA. The later
transmits data in a string, or serially. The ATA transmits the data in
a parallel fashion -- completely different technologies.  I think the
STAT drive will probably function on your Mac but you will need to add
a serial disk controller card. It will not communicate with your
existing ATA interface.

On the plus side, SATA is faster and more efficient, and probably the
way of the future. For a long time, all printers had a parallel
interface, but as the processor speeds have increased, almost all
printers now days are serial (USB). One can probably expect a similar
trend on drives. You see these SATA drives frequently on fast PC
machines. But they do require a fast CPU and might put a larger
processing burden on the computer?  That is a guess on my part and
perhaps folks smarter than me can comment on that.

rich